Sunday, November 29, 2015

The Economy of Heaven: 'Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread'

Mormons excel at what one writer calls the "the sacrament of helping other people move." In our nearly nine years of marriage, my wife and I have moved six times. In each instance we've had strong hands from our local congregation (as well as our extended families) lighten our moving load.

Our most recent move was this summer, into our first home. We knew our parents and siblings wouldn't be able to provide all the help we would need for a quick move, so we announced our plans at Church so members could schedule time to help us.

When the morning of the move came, only two people from our congregation (in addition to my parents, brother and sister-in-law) came to help. This bothered me. How could it be, I wondered, that only two of the hundreds of people in our congregation had time to help us move furniture and boxes?

As the day unfolded, however, I could clearly see how God was blessing us with what we needed on that day. My brother and I unloaded the truck quicker than I expected and we finished by early afternoon. My parents brought us pizza and soda soon afterward (timely sustenance and refreshment), and both they and my wife's parents provided key help in many other ways.

As the blessings of the day became more apparent, a portion of the Lord's prayer repeatedly came to my mind: "Give us this day our daily bread" (Matthew 6:11, emphasis added).

I learned something of the economy of Heaven that day—namely, that God will always bless us with what we need, but not always with what we want. Perhaps He won't send the whole congregation when two faithful neighbors are enough to help get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment